I blog about environmental and social justice issues because I am very concerned about the health of the interdependent web of life of which we are a part.

Melting Arctic ice.......beautiful and frightening!

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 10, 2012

White Privilege Cartoon


You're not automatically a suspect in a crime if you're white.  If you're white, any "bad" behaviour you indulge in won't be used to make generalizations about your race. 

I found this cartoon at
http://www.amptoons.com/blog/2010/02/19/white-privilege-by-keith-knight/
It's a cartoon drawn by Keith Knight.

Interestingly, one of the commenters on the post at the above website said:

I must say that in a situation like this it has never occurred to me to think “Please don’t let it be a white guy.” I’m not sure why he has the white guy reacting as he does in this cartoon, though.


The comment illustrates, beautifully, how unconscious we are of our white privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment